Whole home remodeling is appealing for many homeowners, but there are countless reasons why you might want to break your improvements up into smaller projects.
Plan a better home with help from contractors in Des Moines. Here are some of the most common remodeling and renovation projects, and tips on how to prioritize them.
Small Projects You Can Complete in the Short Term
Some lightweight home renovation projects can help you to feel more comfortable in your home. The following projects can be completed on a moderate budget with little interruption to your lifestyle.
- Painting Any Room in Your Home: A fresh coat of paint can work wonders in any room of your home. This simple home renovation task will refresh living spaces and allow you to change the mood with a new color palette. Painting is relatively affordable and can be completed quickly. Some painting jobs can even be finished in a single day.
- Cleaning or Replacing Carpets: If your carpets look outdated or worn, you could simply hire a cleaning service to come through your home and freshen them up. Heavy wear is better addressed by replacing the carpets altogether. Carpet whole home renovation could be completed in a week in most cases. If you only need to replace carpets in a few rooms or living areas, then the work could be finished even sooner.
- Refinishing Wood Floors: Wood floors are also ideal for a quick home renovation You could have worn hardwood floors refinished as a mid-term project. Natural timber can potentially last the lifetime of your home, as long as you keep up with the maintenance.
- Replacing Grout Around Tiles: Tiles can last forever, but damaged grout can collect dirt and debris, leaving your floors looking dull and worn out. If grout has cracked, then you risk damaging tile edges or even the subfloor. A Des Moines handyman service can offer affordable grouting for tiles in kitchens, bathrooms, or anywhere else in your home.
- Installing New Lighting Fixtures: Even designer light fixtures are relatively affordable when compared to larger home improvements. Changing fixtures could significantly improve the look and feel of your home. Direct replacements can be installed in a single day. However, if you’re considering recessed lighting, it’s best to save it for a larger home remodeling project.
Larger Projects That Require Planning and Coordination
The bigger projects will add the most value to your home, but they’ll also come with higher cost and more disruption. The following improvements require careful planning, and it may even be a good idea to delay them if you need more time to think about designs or financing.
- Adding Outdoor Living Areas: You’ll need to take time to plan and budget if you want to build a deck or create a patio area for grilling and outdoor dining. While these projects can be completed relatively quickly, they are critically important components of your home. You’ll need to carefully consider designs and materials to get results that you’ll love for years to come.
- Creating Textured Feature Walls: Painting a feature wall is a relatively simple home renovation But, if you want to create a textured wall with special materials, then the work will take longer and will usually require consultation with a professional designer. Tile mosaics, barn boards, and wainscoting are some examples that make excellent feature walls. Because these improvements require time to get the craftsmanship right, it’s best that you work them into a bigger home remodeling job.
- Completing a Kitchen Remodel: This is one of the most popular home improvements and one of the most important. Get your kitchen right and you will regain almost all the investment that you put in. Planning is everything on this type of project. You’ll need to carefully consider colors, materials, and layouts. With home remodeling, you may want to open your kitchen by removing non-structural wall elements. You could even make your kitchen larger with a home extension.
The work will have a significant impact on your daily life. A whole kitchen remodel could take up to a month to finish in some cases, or even longer if you add an extension. Take your time to budget and ensure that you can get all the features that you want.
- Bathroom Remodeling Des Moines: Remodeling the bathroom is another big job that can take from a few days to a few weeks to complete. Extensions, relocating plumbing, and installing new fixtures will all add to the time it takes to finish a bathroom remodel. If you have an older home with just a single bathroom, you might even want to remodel with a whole new one.
Expect this project to take time. It will also interrupt your normal schedule to the point where you may want to arrange for temporary accommodation during the project.
Talk to HomeWorx for Stress-Free Home Remodeling
Quick and easy projects can bring instant benefits and a noticeable improvement to your home aesthetic. Major home remodeling that changes the function or layout of your home will take longer, but you’ll enjoy huge gains in market value and comfort.
HomeWorx Iowa is your partner for building a home that matters. We take care of the smallest renovation and handyman jobs, right up to whole home remodeling.
Get better results when you work with the best home improvement team in Iowa. Contact us today to discuss any project that you have in mind.