A renovation or bathroom remodel will give your home more functionality with increased beauty and value. Having a basic outline on hand will ensure that the process goes smoothly and without major setbacks.
Before you get started on your project, make sure you’ve read our easy guide to bathroom remodeling.
Start with a Design
Every successful bathroom remodel projects begins with a design. Take the time to consider your needs and what you want to get from your new bathroom. This step is critical, and you should never rush it or settle for any major compromises of your vision.
You can get started by simply listing your wants and needs. Write down what is lacking in your current bathroom, and then list the features that you’d want from a new bathroom.
Start with the large improvements, but don’t overlook any of the smaller features that can add convenience. Additions like heated towel rails or even robe hooks might seem small, but they’re actually quite important to the overall look, feel, and practicality of your bathroom.
Some of the most critical elements to include in your design list are:
- A complete color scheme for your bathroom, including walls, floors, fixtures and hardware.
- Fixture styles, including your bath, shower, toilet, vanity etc.
- Lighting and ventilation.
- Floor material. Tiles are ideal for bathrooms. If you like the look of hardwood but want a more affordable and moisture-stable material, consider engineered wood flooring.
- Storage is key to a comfortable and functional bathroom. Include options like shelves, cabinets, or storage closets if you have the space.
- Heated flooring may be a feature that you want in your bathroom. Include this in your design list so that you can budget accordingly.
- Consider energy efficiency when choosing your fixtures. High efficiency toilets, showerheads, and faucets could reduce your utility costs over the lifetime of your bathroom.
All your desired additions can be incorporated into your design. Visualizing this yourself can be difficult if you’re new to remodeling. Magazines or pictures found on the internet could give you ideas about overall aesthetic.
If you want to fully visualize your new bathroom, it’s recommended that you work with Des Moines Contractors who can provide a complete 3D model of your improvements. 3D modeling will provide a true to life representation of your bathroom before any work begins.
Decide When Des Moines Contractors are Needed
Many homeowners decide to go the DIY route when making minor improvements in their homes. A bathroom remodel or renovation requires a significant amount of work, much of which is a major step up from smaller home improvement jobs. You’ll need to decide whether it’s best to do the work alone or hire a team of Des Moines Contractors.
- Unless you’re a qualified professional, you’ll need a contractor to complete the plumbing and wiring in your new bathroom.
- Work like framing, installing baths and showers, adding insulation, or laying a heated floor is best left to professional installers. Precision is important when making structural changes or installing large fixtures. Choosing to hire professionals for your bathroom remodel will ensure that your improvements last for many years to come.
- Cabinets and countertops should be professionally measured and installed. Work that could take you days would be completed by contractors in a single day in most cases.
- Hanging drywall and finishing walls with paint or tiles could be completed using DIY methods, but the results could vastly differ from what professionals can provide. If you want a luxury aesthetic with no imperfections, then its best to avoid DIY in this area.
- Time is also something to consider. A professional team can come in and complete your renovations or remodeling in a relatively brief period when compared to DIY. Your bathroom is one of the most critical rooms in your home and taking it out of service will severely disrupt your lifestyle.
There are some jobs that are suitable for DIY if you have the time. Removing tiles, existing cabinetry, and even large fixtures could be something that you could complete in the weekend with the help of friends or family. This could reduce the cost of your project, and then you could bring the professionals in for the rest of the work.
Choosing a professional remodel could even be more affordable overall. Large home improvement firms have access to wholesale pricing on everything from tiles to bathroom vanities. A professional designer will know how to achieve your desired look on the lowest possible budget. Working with professionals could even help to limit cost overruns, because all the work and improvements will be agreed in the initial contract.
Check Your Permits
A small bathroom remodeling or renovation project probably won’t need any special permits. This is especially true if you won’t be changing anything structural, and if you’ll use your existing plumbing and wiring.
For larger remodels – the ones that will bring lasting value and convenience to your home – you’ll probably need some permits from local government offices. Navigating the rules could be time consuming and might not be something that you’re interested in doing. This is another reason why it’s usually more convenient to work with a professional team that can take care of the whole project from end to end.
Plan Your Budget
Your initial budget can be developed during the planning stage. Des Moines Contractors will set out a build plan as well as a payment schedule. You’ll usually work from a starting deposit that covers materials and labor that are needed immediately. The remaining total will be dispersed over the duration of the project.
You can also finance a bathroom remodel through a longer payment plan. The team at HomeWorx Iowa will develop a payment and financing plan for your dream bathroom. If you want to talk about your options, call us today!
Biggest Cost Factors in a Bathroom Remodel Des Moines
The design, size, and features that you add to your bathroom will influence the cost. The following are some of the most popular additions, including the average amount that they would add to your final remodeling bill.
- Bathtub installation ranges (on average) between $1,000 and $4,500. Cost depends on the type and design of the tub. Placement and reframing costs will also be a factor.
- Shower installation typically costs between $1,000 and $5,000. Your specific cost will depend on the shower itself, and any other materials that are needed to complete your desired aesthetic. You may wish to tile your shower installation or even add a ventilation fan above it.
- Custom Cabinet installation could range from $1,000 to $2,500 depending on materials used. This is the average cost for six cabinets. Choosing pre-manufactured vanities will always be more affordable than custom cabinetry, but you might not get the unique aesthetic that you’re looking for.
- Countertops could cost you as little as $70, and as much as $2,000 in a large bathroom. Natural materials like marble and stone will come with the highest price tags. Quartz is a good option if you want a premium look and feel on a reasonable budget.
- Flooring could cost up to $2000, with most of this cost coming from labor.
- Toilets can be purchased for as little as $400, or as much as $1000 for a fully featured designer toilet. You don’t need to spend a lot on this fixture, but you should aim for something in the mid-range. This will ensure that you get a long-term investment with a reasonable warranty period.
These costs are based on averages from home improvement projects across the United States. Working closely with professional bathroom remodelers will ensure that you get the best quote for your preferred bathroom design.
Bathroom Remodel with The Best Contractors in Iowa
Comprehensive planning and expert project management will result in a better bathroom remodel. If you’re ready to get started on a remodel, if you’re still looking for advice, or if you simply need a quote, you can talk to the team at HomeWorx Iowa.
Contact us today for a stress-free remodel. We’ll help you maximize your budget, creating a dream bathroom that is functional, modern, and exceptionally beautiful.