- Obtain a copy of their liability and worker’s compensation coverage
Many contractors do not have the proper coverage to properly protect themselves or their clients. The remodeling and construction industry is a competitive marketplace and some contractors may look to be more competitive by not obtaining the proper insurance and thus having a lower cost to operate. Proper insurance and workers compensation coverage can easily add 15-20% to a contractors labor cost.
- Check with Iowa Workforce Development to ensure your contractor is registered in the state of Iowa. You can complete the search here. (if you are searching for us type our name in as two words, Home Worx)
This is another method to ensure a contractor has the proper credentials. When a contractor initially becomes registered with the state they are required to provide documentation proving they have the proper insurance and workers compensation coverage.
- Check around the usual places; Facebook, Google Reviews, Houzz, Yelp, etc. to ensure your contractor consistently has positive reviews over an extended period of time.
The internet has become a great resource to easily find the reputable companies and just as easy to find the not so reputable ones. In today’s age it is critical for a business to provide superior customer service. The customer has never had so much power in terms of their voice. A negative review can be understandable as their are difficult customers but it should not be a theme in any business.
- Do you like them? It may sound funny since this is a business transaction but depending on the scope of your project you could be working with this company for a considerable length of time.
This is often overlooked in many consumer transactions but in remodeling you have to consider this as a relationship. Both sides need to make sure they are the right fit for each other. Find a contractor who listens to your ideas and works hard to ensure the finished product is what you want.
- Do they respond to you in an adequate time frame?
Look for this early in the contractor selection process. If they are slow to return your initial call that could be a sign of things to comes.
Of course there are so many other things to consider in your selection process. However, ff you find contractors that pass the muster with these items we feel they are likely a good fit for your remodel.