Like anything, bathroom remodel costs can vary dramatically depending on the updates to be made and the type of materials to be utilized. In this article, we will cover the following topics:
- How much does of a bathroom remodel cost?
- Will any plumbing or electrical need to be moved?
- What types of material are to be used?
- How long does it take to complete a bathroom remodel?
- What to consider when completing a bathroom remodel?
How much does a bathroom remodel cost?
At HomeWorx, the average cost of a bathroom remodel is $10,356 in the Des Moines area. The range of our bathroom remodels can be as little $4,000 to $25,000+ depending on the scope of work. A number of factors come in to play when determining the cost of each individual bathroom. Throughout the remainder of this article, we will speak to some of the major items affecting the price.
To receive a custom bathroom estimate, utilize our bathroom remodel cost calculator by clicking here to get an instant estimate.
Will any plumbing or electrical need to be moved?
If the layout is remaining the same and no plumbing or electrical is being re-routed, this will be the best for the budget. However, if you are looking to do any of the following, costs will increase…
- Move location of shower / bathtub drain
- Move location of or add lighting fixtures
- Move location of or add electrical outlets or switches
The main word to focus on is “location”. If lighting fixtures or plumbing fixtures are simply being swapped out but remaining in the same location the cost will be less expensive. However, if you are looking to move the location of any of the items listed above to a new location your costs will increase. Depending on the scope of work being complete, the costs to complete the above items could range from as little as $500 to over $1,500.
What types of material are to be used?
An entire book could be written on this question but to keep it simple we will focus on the major material costs that go into a bathroom remodel…
- Vanity: A new vanity with top will range in price from $500-$3,000. On average, our customers spend $1,250 for a bathroom vanity.
- Tile: Per square foot, tile will range from $3 to $20. On average, our customers spend $8 per square foot. This would be for floors and / or showers. A less expensive alternative to tile flooring is luxury vinyl plank, which costs $4-5 per square foot on average.
- Tile vs fiberglass tub/ shower surround: Tile showers can be the star of the show for your bathroom remodel. However, they can also greatly increase costs. Some of this cost is within the material itself but the labor required is also much higher for a tile shower. Fiberglass tub / shower combinations can be purchased for as little as $500 while the material and labor for a tile shower and tile floor can be $3000+.
- Glass shower doors: A standard glass shower door can be picked up at your local home store for around $400-500. Once you get into custom showers a standard glass door from the home store likely will not work. In these scenarios, a glass company is called in to custom size the glass and door. The custom glass shower door can range in price from $1,250-2,800.
- Plumbing fixtures: The basic vanity faucet starts at $50 while our customers normally spend about $90 on a vanity faucet. For tub and shower fixtures, the prices start at $125 but can easily exceed $500. Our customers normally spend $175.
How long does it take to complete a bathroom remodel?
Most basic bathroom remodels can be completed in under a week. As we begin getting into bathrooms with tile floors and showers, the timeframe can extend to 3-6 weeks. On average, our bathroom remodels take 3 weeks.
What to consider when completing a bathroom remodel?
- Do you see yourself being in the house for the considerable future?
- If so, you will want to make the bathroom fit you and your lifestyle. You may want to spend more to get the features you’re looking for and not worry as much about making up the cost in re-sale value.
- If not, you will want to look at the latest trends to complete your bathroom remodel and keep costs in check. We would not suggest going over the top, buying the fanciest materials, as you likely will not make up the entire cost when selling the house if you do this.
- Do you use the bathroom everyday?
- If not, you may want to consider keeping this basic.
- Are you willing to do maintenance?
- Tile showers do require maintenance over time. This could include touching up the caulking as well as cleaning the grout.
Bathroom remodels come in all shapes and sizes. Keep your budget in mind and work from there. Generally speaking, there is a bathroom remodel that will fit most budgets.
To receive a custom bathroom estimate, utilize our bathroom remodel cost calculator by clicking here to get an instant estimate. Or to learn more about our bathroom remodeling services and schedule an appointment with us click here.