BronzeBasic Finishes, Pull & Replace
Use Existing Cabinetry Layout
Existing Flooring to Remain
No Incremental Electrical Fixtures
Appliances Remain in Existing Locations
Level 1 Countertops (Granite/Quartz)
Level 1 Plumbing Fixtures
Ceramic Tile Backsplash
SilverMid Level Finishes, Small Changes to Space
Cabinetry Modifications within Existing Space
Refinish Existing Hardwood Floors
Minor Electrical Changes
Appliance May Move
Level 2 Countertops (Granite/Quartz)
Level 2 Plumbing Fixtures
Ceramic Tile Backsplash
GoldHigh End Finishes, Significant Changes
Remove Existing Walls to Accommodate Expanded Design
New Flooring in Kitchen
Entirely New Electrical Layout
Appliances May Move
Exotic Granite or Quartz Countertops
Level 3 Plumbing Fixtures
Natural Stone Backsplash
How much does a kitchen remodel cost?
Like anything, the cost of a kitchen remodel can vary dramatically depending on the updates to be made and the type of materials to be utilized. In this article, we will cover the following topics:
- What is the average cost of a kitchen remodel?
- Will any plumbing or electrical need to be moved?
- What types of material are to be used?
- How long does it take to complete a kitchen remodel?
- What to consider when completing a kitchen remodel?
What is the average cost of a kitchen remodel?
At HomeWorx, the average cost of a kitchen remodel is $45,986 in the Des Moines area. The range of our kitchen remodels can be as little $25,000 to $100,000+ depending on the scope of work. A number of factors come in to play when determining the cost of a kitchen remodel. Throughout the remainder of this article, we will speak to some of the major items affecting the price.
To receive a custom kitchen estimate, schedule an appointment with us and one of our experts will work up a no obligation free estimate.
Will any plumbing or electrical need to be moved?
If the layout is remaining the same and no plumbing or electrical is being re-routed, this will be the best for the budget. However, if you are looking to do any of the following, costs will increase…
- Move location of sink and dishwasher
- Move location of or add lighting fixtures
- Move location of or add electrical outlets or switches
The main word to focus on is “location”. If lighting fixtures, oven ranges or plumbing fixtures are simply being swapped out but remaining in the same location the costs will be less expensive. However, if you are looking to move the location of any of the items listed above to a new location your costs will increase. Depending on the scope of work being complete the costs to complete the above items could range from as little as $500 to over $5,000.
What types of material are to be used?
An entire book could be written on this question but to keep it simple we will focus on the major material costs that go into a kitchen remodel…
- Cabinetry: New kitchen cabinets will range in price from $5000-$30,000+. On average, our customers spend $20,000 for a kitchen cabinets
- Countertops: Granite and quartz countertops are the standard today with quartz becoming the more popular of the two. Granite countertops start around$60 per sq ft with Quartz starting around $70 per sq ft.
- Tile: Per square foot, tile will range from $3 to $20. On average, our customers spend $8 per square foot. This would be for floors and / or backsplashes. A less expensive alternative to tile flooring is luxury vinyl plank, which costs $4-6 per square foot on average.
- Appliances: Many people choose to reuse their current appliances or replace down the road. This definitely reduces the projects costs. However, if your appliances are on their last leg you can expect to pay around $5000 for a new set. As with all the other materials prices can be higher if you choose to go with Viking or Wolf appliances.
- Plumbing fixtures: The basic kitchen faucet starts at $150 while our customers normally spend about $400 on a kitchen faucet.
- Lighting fixtures: The majority of lighting we see in a kitchen includes recessed lights in the ceiling, pendant lights over the island and under-cabinet lighting. Depending on the current lighting you could spend $3000 to add recessed lighting to a kitchen where it does not currently exist. Pendant lights generally cost around $150-$350 per light. And for undercabinet lighting you can expect to pay around $1500.
How long does it take to complete a kitchen remodel?
Full gut kitchens with new cabinets, counter tops, etc, the time frame can extend to 6-10 weeks. On average, our kitchen remodels take 8 weeks. We’ve also written an entire blog post about this that you can read here.
What to consider when completing a kitchen remodel?
- Do you see yourself being in the house for the considerable future?
- If so, you will want to make the kitchen fit you and your lifestyle. You may want to spend a little more to get the features you’re looking for and not worry as much about making up the cost in re-sale value.
- If not, you will want to look at the latest trends to complete your kitchen remodel and keep costs in check. We would not suggest going over the top, buying the fanciest materials, as you likely will not make up the entire cost when selling the house if you do this.
Kitchen remodels come in all shapes and sizes. Keep your budget in mind and work from there. Generally speaking, there is a kitchen remodel that fits most budgets.
To receive a custom kitchen estimate, schedule an appointment with us to discuss your dream kitchen.