Thinking about remodeling your basement? Great choice! There are tons of reasons to remodel your basement, including:
- Increased Resale Value 💰 – A finished basement is a huge draw to future buyers.
- Add Square Footage 📏 – Finishing your basement can double the amount of usable square footage in your home.
- Waterproofing 💧 – A finished basement is a waterproof basement, which can save your house from water damage.
If you live in the Des Moines area and want to research basement remodel contractors, we are one step ahead of you. We’ve pulled from some of the best contractors in the area so that you can get the results your home deserves.
4 Signs it’s Time for a Basement Remodel
Not sure whether it’s the right time to start your basement remodel? Here are some key signs you should consider it.
1.) You Are Thinking About Moving – If a move is in your future, it may be well worth your time to remodel your basement. Studies have shown that the value of a finished basement is roughly 50-60% of the value of the upper levels. This means that you could easily be adding tons of value to your home.
2.) You Have a Pest Problem – Are your mouse traps working overtime? A finished basement could help keep pests out of your basement by sealing up any small gaps they may be using as an entrance.
3.) You Have a Problem With Flooding – Is your basement suffering from floods every time it rains? You could be dealing with a problem that could cost you in the future. Water damage can lead to mold growth and damage to your foundation.
4.) You Are Outgrowing Your Space – Is your home feeling smaller as your family grows bigger? Remodeling your basement will give your family extra space to spread out and enjoy your home for years to come.
Things To Add To Your Basement Remodel
You’re interested in a remodel but not sure what you want to add to your home. Here are some of our favorite features to include in a basement remodel.
- New Flooring – New flooring gives your space a fresh feel and can also help you insulate a cold basement. We’re particularly fond of adding in either laminate flooring or carpet.
- A Basement Bathroom – It’s always a good idea to have an extra bathroom in your home. Especially if your basement is used for hanging out with friends or entertaining, it can be convenient to have a downstairs restroom for them to use.
- Add a New Bedroom – Adding an extra bedroom to your home will up the resale value, as well as give you a place to host guests when they come to stay. With a new bathroom as well, you could create an entire guest suite.
- Create a Home Theater – Home theaters are all the rage these days, and with good reason. They’re a cozy living space the whole family can enjoy.
- Add a Home Gym – A basement is a great place to work out, particularly if you live in cold climates where getting outside isn’t always an option.
Of course, we understand that all of these remodel ideas come with a price tag that may or may not be feasible for your budget. While the cost of basement remodels varies depending on the project, the average homeowner spends between $10,000-$30,000 on the entire project. Be sure to take the time to review your budget before beginning any home renovation project.
5 Basement Remodelers in Des Moines
Looking for the best basement remodeling services in Des Moines? Look no further.
We couldn’t create this guide without a shout-out to our own hard working team at Homeworx. We offer full basement remodeling services, including installing basement flooring, electrical work, plumbing, and more. We’ll help you create your dream basement!
2) Red House Remodeling
Red House Remodeling offers a wide variety of remodeling services, including basement remodeling. Want to freshen up other rooms in your home? They can do that too! Contact their award winning team to learn more.
3) Zenith Design + Build
Zenith Design + Build is one of Des Moines top rate home remodelers! They offer both basement finishing and basement remodeling services to help you create the space you’ve always dreamed of.
4) Dunlap Construction Inc.
At Dunlap Construction, not only are they ready to help you finish your basement, but they are also prepared to help you turn it into a functional space. Whether you’re looking to add an office, bedroom, or bathroom, their team can help.